Thursday 20 April 2017

Not Terminally Silly

Cycling from Mark towards Woolavington across the levels I saw a pony and cart coming the other way. So did the driver of the car in front of me. Reasonably enough said driver slowed. They slowed some more, and more, and eventually came to a stop alongside the pony and cart which was forced to also stop by the over-caution and peculiar road positioning of the car. Throughout this time I had been closing the gap but, having read that the situation wasn't going as expected, was unclipped and ready to come to a stop, which I did. The car, being now safely past the pony and cart, started up again. I clipped in and made to follow it.
Not very exciting. Except that the car immediately stopped again leaving me clipped in with no momentum. I knew I couldn't get unclipped. I leaned sideways onto the cart but, just as I did so it moved off so that the bit that I was intending to lean against was no longer there. I fell. I landed under the cart with the wheel against but not pressing down on my shoulder. The cart driver stopped. I was unhurt except for a scraped knee, the cart driver was certainly more shocked that I was. I cannot speak on the condition of the car driver as they cleared off without coming to investigate. My bike suffered a bent 'rear-mech' hanger. So no great tragedy as the cart driver realised the scenario and stopped before the wheels of the cart went over me. Heavy cart, big, had car wheels, used for hauling hay bales around - trust me on this.
And what a silly way to get badly hurt or worse it would have been. We can blame the car driver for the start-stop routine. We can blame me for clipping in too soon after the car seemed to be pulling away. Probably best to blame me, after all, I had a friend in Essex whose car got rear-ended at roundabouts twice in a year or so when he stopped to check that there was nothing coming from the right. There was nothing coming from the right on either occasion, just from behind - and both times with drivers who assumed he'd simply drive through the situation. I did the same - I assumed the behaviour of a fellow road user would be as I expected.
I do yet live. So, having failed to be terminally silly in Somerset I shall get to attempt it in the West Midlands at the weekend; this time by riding the 'Tour of the Black Country'. Cobbles, stones, gravel, sand...


David

2 comments:

  1. Hello David. I came across your blog whilst looking for info on a Radial Revere, which i believe you own. I am struggling to find some information regarding the derailleur hanger. Would you mind if i asked you what "code" or number is stamped on your hanger please, as there seems to be 300+ to choose from and Radial are less than helpful. I thank you in advance for any help you can offer. Scott

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scott - I see no code. The hanger is a black soft plastic item designed to fail easily - to protect the frame from torsion caused by a twisting mech in a fall.

    ReplyDelete